Leaf mustard: useful properties and contraindications
A well-known representative of the salad culture - leaf mustard. It belongs to the spicy annual plants of the Cruciferous family. There is information that this herb was first grown in China, then it became very popular around the world. The taste of the leaves is bitter, with notes of spice.
- Composition and calories
- How Mustard Leaves Helpful
- For Women
- For men
- For Pregnancy
- For breastfeeding
- For children
- When losing weight
- Harm and Contraindications
- How to choose and store
- Is it possible to eat mustard leaves raw
- How to properly use mustard leaves
- What can be cooked from mustard leaves: Recipes
- Pasta for sandwiches
- Green salad
- Tomato and bell pepper salad
- Roasted Leaves
- Exquisite salad
- Pork with green beans
- Use of mustard leaves in folk medicine
- Interesting information about the plant
By the shape of the leaves and height you can determine the variety. The most common greens are up to 35 cm tall with wavy edges, but a variety that reaches 50 cm in height is known.
China and Japan are famous for their culinary use of mustard leaves: they are sliced into salads and used to decorate sandwiches. Americans also use them in cooking steaks, and Italians use the leaves to make unusual pasta. In our country there is no demand for this plant, although climatic conditions allow it to grow. And it's a pity, because greens are full of vitamins and can improve the digestive tract, beneficially affect longevity.
For the cultivation of leaves will suit the usual climatic conditions and the nature of the soil, because it is unpretentious. Seeds are sown into the ground in early April. You can protect the seedlings from frosts by covering the seedbeds with polyethylene. Regular watering promotes the growth of succulent greens. Weeding seedbeds should be weeded as needed, so that the sun's rays can warm the ground to the roots of leaf mustard. After the seeds mature, the crop can be harvested. Seeds are used in cooking or left for seedlings the following year.
The leaf shape and height of the plant depends directly on the variety:
- Red Giant. A plant with rather stiff emerald leaves with a red tint.
- Salad. The most common variety due to its pleasant taste and small leaves.
- Wolnushka. Named for its leaves with wavy edges.
- Prima. Harvested on day 20 after planting and has a delicate taste.
- Mustang. Has purple leaves, this variety is quite fragrant.
Composition and calories
People who monitor their diet and give preference to dietary dishes, leaf mustard will love it, as it has a low caloric content. At 100 grams of the plant there are only 26 kcal. This amount is able to saturate the body with 4% of the daily requirement of protein, 2% of carbohydrates and 1% of fats. Mustard leaves have an unusual taste, combining bitterness and delicacy.
Mustard leaves contain the following substances: protein, fat, carbohydrates, water, potassium and calcium, magnesium, sodium, phosphorus, iron, manganese, copper, zinc, omega-3, omega-6, vitamins A, B, C, E, K, lutein, zeaxanthin, alpha- and beta-carotene.
What are the benefits of mustard leaves
It is no secret that the people of China are healthy and strong people. Of course, success is contained in many components of lifestyle, but it should be noted that greens have a special place among the healthy foods due to their rich composition, and the Chinese are very fond of it.
Let's understand how the inclusion of mustard leaves in the diet affects people.
The composition of greens contains vitamin A, which preserves the youthfulness of the skin. Also, this component is involved in the synthesis of carotene, which is a building component of the hair. Thanks to him, the hair actively grows and does not fall out. Vitamin A is also responsible for the density and growth of eyelashes, helps to renew the epithelial layer of the bronchi and lungs, suppressing viruses, bacteria, chemical and toxic substances entering the body.
Fiber contained in the leaves helps eliminate toxins from the body. Thus, women note that regular inclusion in the diet of the plant helps to avoid premature aging, make the skin smooth, get rid of acne and minor inflammation on the skin.
In addition, the use of salad leaves helps to stabilize the hormonal background. It varies in women at different periods, the imbalance of the background can lead, for example, to problems with the thyroid gland. Young girls mustard leaves will help to avoid problems with irregular menstrual cycles.
Lettuce mustard leaves prevent the appearance of vascular disease, thanks to the components that reduce cholesterol and clean blood vessels. The product is prescribed for people who need prevention from thrombosis and atherosclerosis.
Use mustard leaves can be used not only as food, but also to create cosmetic products. Over the years, the skin does not get better, there are dryness, wrinkles, loss of elasticity. To stop these processes, you can make a mask based on mustard leaves.
How to prepare a mask that restores skin elasticity:
- 2 mustard leaves;
- 4 tablespoons of sour cream, cream or yoghurt.
Mix all the ingredients and apply to the skin, keep for about 30 minutes, repeat 1-2 times a week.
The plant reduces the likelihood of cardiovascular disease, which, unfortunately, is widespread in the population around the world:
- arterial hypertension;
- heart defects;
- myocardial infarction;
- arterial diseases;
- coronary artery disease;
- angina pectoris;
- heart failure;
- rheumatic lesions;
- cerebrovascular disease.
Effect of greens on the body:
- Raw and cooked greens contain vitamin K. It plays a huge role in the process of blood clotting. In addition, deficiency of this element increases the risk of cardiovascular disease, reduces bone strength, which can lead to a fracture even with a minor blow.
- Lack of vitamin K can cause brain damage, the appearance of Alzheimer's disease.
- The consumption of these greens prevents the occlusion of veins and the formation of blood clots, can improve the cardiovascular system.
- Few people know that regular consumption of mustard leaves prevents strokes and heart attacks in men.
- The composition of mustard leaves includes antioxidants such as quercetin and kaempferol. They control the amount of free radicals in the body, an overabundance of which accelerates the appearance of abnormal molecules that can develop tumor processes. So, quercetin, kaempferol become very useful elements that prevent the appearance of cancer.
- The presence of flavonoids in the plant indicates that it is recommended for the prevention of prostate and ovarian cancer.
- For elderly men the product is useful because it contains vitamin K, which is responsible for strengthening bones.
- Mustard leaves contain vitamin B, the lack of which causes irritability, insomnia and fatigue in men. Doctors recommend adding mustard leaves with fish or other seafood as a snack at the first signs of fatigue. This promotes a burst of energy.
- The useful properties of the plant are also noted by athletes, because the composition of the leaves helps to reduce pain after exercise.
- Another problem concerning some young men is baldness. So, adding mustard leaves to the food promotes the restoration of hair follicles.
- Already in the planning stage of pregnancy, girls are prescribed folic acid. This component is responsible for the normal functioning of the hematopoietic and immune systems. Folic acid is involved in the formation of brain cells, is responsible for the creation of nucleic acids, takes part in the synthesis of DNA, and can prevent neural tube defects in the baby. So, greens are very rich in this element.
- Vitamin B9 is present in this category of salad culture, it reduces the likelihood of premature birth and miscarriage.
- During pregnancy, a girl should avoid stress and frustration. Mustard leaves contain magnesium, which is responsible for the nervous system and calms it down.
- Vitamin K and omega-3 protect the body from inflammation, and in the most beautiful period it is so important for every girl to control her health.
- Mustard leaves contain enough vitamin C to protect the immune system from negative effects.
- The body fights potential infection with T cells, which are a type of white blood cells, and it is this vitamin that takes part in their formation.
- The burden on the body of a pregnant woman is great, so you should monitor your well-being. Mustard leaves contain lutein and zeaxanthin, which help maintain eye health. Research has proven that eating foods high in lutein and zeaxanthin prevents yellow spot formation, which is known to be one of the causes of blindness.
The first month after the birth of the child, experts recommend the nursing mother to adhere to a strict diet, because the baby's body is still adapting to everything new. This way you can avoid problems with colic and allergic reactions in the baby. A month after birth, you can gradually introduce new products in small amounts.
Useful elements of the leaves of the plant help women recover from childbirth, less emotionally endure sleepless nights. However, it is not recommended to eat greens in large quantities, because they contain alkali, which affects the work of the kidneys, liver and bladder.
During lactation, lettuce leaves are responsible for increasing the milk of the nursing mother and its quality. It is recommended to introduce the product to the mother with 1-2 leaves, then within 24 hours you should observe the baby, so that he does not have a reaction in the form of a rash on the skin.
It is also known that the baby receives through the milk of the mother all the useful elements. Accordingly, vitamins and other components contained in the leaves will also get to the baby. From the first days of life, these components will contribute to the strengthening of bones and blood vessels, the proper formation of the nervous system.
It is worth noting that we are talking about mustard leaves, not mustard, which should be abandoned during lactation.
Who else but children need to consume daily products that are rich in vitamins. After all, kids need to fill their bodies with components that promote normal growth and development.
It is acceptable to have leafy greens in the diet of a child over 5 years old, but in a small dosage because of the spicy taste.
When losing weight.
Mustard leaves are low-calorie, respectively, those who want to lose extra pounds should take a closer look at this plant.
The fiber contained in the leaves is responsible for cholesterol control and weight loss, burning calories. Water combined with fiber helps the gastrointestinal tract function and prevents disorders.
Antioxidants in the greens control blood glucose levels and speed up metabolism. The combination of carrots, beets, and mustard leaves helps to cleanse the blood.
However, it should be taken into account that it is contraindicated to lose weight on mustard leaves alone, despite the useful composition. In addition, the maximum effect in weight loss will be achieved if you consume the leaves with dressing, for example:
- lemon juice or ginger;
- Nonfat yogurt, sour cream.
Please note! Mustard leaves should not be cut with a knife, as due to contact with metal many useful substances are lost.
Wanting to lose a couple of pounds, you can not only organize snacks with mustard leaves, but also make wraps from dry leaves. Put dry leaves on your stomach, wrap polyethylene on top. Such wraps promote weight loss and eliminate cellulite.
Harms and contraindications
There is a lot of information about the ways to use the leaves of lettuce culture, but it is worth noting that the product should be used in moderation, so as not to get a side effect.
There are categories of people who are contraindicated to include this salad crop in their diet:
- The leaves of the greens contain oxalates, which have a negative effect on the body of people with kidney or gallbladder disease.
- The plant prevents the absorption into the blood of a mineral such as calcium. Therefore, those who are prescribed a course of treatment with a drug containing the component are advised to refrain from the leaves.
- People who have diseases of the digestive system in acute or chronic form, heart disease, it is better not to eat these greens.
- Pregnant and young mothers should monitor their condition after the use of mustard leaves, because they can cause allergies (in the composition of a large number of elements).
- Those who have allergies should be careful with the lettuce crop.
- Taking medications that promote blood thinning is also a contraindication.
- A person who has problems with the urinary system, it is better to refrain from eating mustard greens.
How to choose and store
Mustard leaves are usually harvested when the plant has reached a height of 30 cm, if we are not talking about certain varieties. This moment comes about 3 weeks after the seeds have sprouted. Accordingly, it is necessary to pay attention to the appearance of the leaves when choosing.
There is always the question of preserving the useful properties of the plant. If you store mustard leaves in the refrigerator, the temperature should not exceed 4 degrees, then the properties will be preserved for a week. Putting a bunch of leaves in a glass with water, you can be sure that the product will be saturated with vitamins for 2 weeks.
These storage methods are suitable for those who plan to consume the leaves in the near future. There are also several options for preserving the beneficial properties for a long time:
- Dry clean herbs well, portion them out on foil, and put them in the freezer.
- Chop mustard leaves with a knife, spread them into ice molds, pour water over them, and place them in the freezer - this way you can get cubes for soup.
- Dry the plant in a warm place or an electric dryer.
Some housewives place mustard leaves in a jar with salt and water. This method is the least preferred, as the useful properties are killed by the salt. Still, it is appropriate to share a recipe: mustard leaves put in a container, pour 1 liter of water, pour 2 tablespoons of salt, sugar and vinegar, cover the container with a lid.
Can I eat mustard leaves raw?
Mustard leaves can be eaten raw. It was noted earlier that in many countries this plant is actively used in cooking.
Fresh leaves are sliced into a salad, put on a sandwich. Dried leaves are popular for cooking hot dishes, then they are used as a condiment.
You can not eat a lot of leaves of salad culture, because they have a sharp taste and pungent flavor.
How to properly use leaf mustard
The plant belongs to the bitter Cruciferous family along with spinach and leafy cabbage. Despite the spiciness, the greens are consumed both raw and as an addition to the main dish. Mustard leaves can give a twist to a culinary masterpiece if they are properly prepared.
Cooks note that these leaves are an excellent complement to salted meat, smoked turkey, bacon and ham. The bitterness of the greens can be smoothed by adding sugar. Lemon juice will gracefully complement the flavor of the mustard leaves. Chefs are very fond of this spicy plant, because by adding it to a dish, they achieve a balanced and unusual taste. In addition, raw leaves are used to create unusual smoothies and vegetable juices.
Leaf mustard is an excellent accompaniment to meat masterpieces as a garnish or seasoning. If fresh mustard leaves are to be used, then it is recommended to add a minimal amount of spice when cooking meat, as the greens will overpower their flavor.
In addition to complementing meat dishes, mustard leaves will be an excellent garnish for baked fish. Experienced cooks know how to make soup and stew even more appetizing by adding mustard leaves.
As a side note. The spicy taste of the greens is dampened by a source of fat, such as vegetable or butter. Marinate the leaves with sugar, lemon juice, garlic, apple cider vinegar.
Any culinary creation mustard leaves can complement the notes of spice, giving an unusual flavor. However, note that you should not consume more than three fresh leaves at a time. The composition of the plant is certainly useful, but the spiciness can be reflected in abdominal pain.
For mustard leaves to retain their useful properties, they should be added to the dish 2-3 minutes before the end of cooking.
What you can cook from mustard leaves: recipes
The best way to make a dish delicious - add unusual greens. There are recipes, the main component of which is exactly mustard leaves.
Pasta for sandwiches
For its preparation will be required:
- 50 g mustard leaves.
- 100g cheese.
- 20g butter.
Prepare the pasta is very simple: shred the leaves, grate the cheese, mix the ingredients with butter.
Salad of greens
- 15 mustard leaves.
- 10 ml. vegetable oil.
- Half a lemon.
Tear the greens with your hands, pour in the oil, then the juice of the lemon and add basil as desired.
Salad of tomatoes and bell peppers
- 30 g mustard leaves.
- 150g fresh tomatoes.
- 150g bell peppers.
- 1 teaspoon of lemon juice.
- 10 g green onions.
- 20 g cilantro.
Tomatoes, peppers, onions chop, tear the greens and send to the vegetables, dress the dish with oil and lemon juice.
- 500 g mustard leaves.
- 150g of onions.
- 1 garlic clove.
- 50 g of meat broth.
- Half a teaspoon of sesame oil.
Fry onion rings and garlic until fragrant, pour in broth, add herbs. Stir-fry until the main ingredient softens, then dress with sesame oil.
- Leaf mustard.
- Red onions.
- Lemon juice.
- Apple cider vinegar.
- Olive oil.
The onion should be cut into rings, pour apple cider vinegar and put in a cold place for 30 minutes. Boil the beets, cut into cubes, mix with mustard leaves and the rest of the greens, add the pickled, onion rings.
Pork with green beans
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil.
- 400g ground pork.
- 200g green beans.
- 100g mustard leaves.
- 3 tablespoons wine.
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce.
Heat vegetable oil in a saucepan and fry green beans in it for 6 minutes. Remove the beans from the pan and put the minced pork in it, stir-fry for a quarter of an hour. Then add the ingredients you have already prepared: beans, herbs, wine and soy sauce. Let it stew together for 5 minutes. Ready delicacy can be sprinkled with sesame seeds.
The use of mustard leaves in folk medicine
Although today there is a sufficient number of modern medications for the treatment of various diseases, interest in folk methods of treatment of some ailments is not extinguished. Dried mustard leaves can help cure many diseases. Let's look at examples:
- Place warm mustard powder in wool socks and wear for several hours during colds.
- Mix mustard powder, salt, vinegar, make a compress to relieve joint pain.
- A mask of mustard powder and honey is known among girls. It stimulates hair growth. Mix the ingredients and rub into the scalp. Put polyethylene on top and keep the mask for about 20 minutes. Then rinse the mixture thoroughly with warm water. The mask improves blood circulation, reduces the activity of the sebaceous glands.
- Alcohol poisoning can be cured by drinking a decoction of mustard leaves.
- When acute respiratory infections, coughs and runny nose, add mustard powder and salt in a container of warm water, then dip your feet into the water, cover with a blanket and hold until the redness on the skin. Remember that such baths are contraindicated for people with kidney disease, heart disease, blood vessels, as well as varicose veins.
- Mustard leaves in fresh and dry form are recommended for people with a lack of appetite for 20 days. The greens are known to stimulate its appearance.
Interesting information about the plant
- Few people know that the nitrates of leaf mustard when reheated can turn into harmful substances. It's all about the active bacteria in the greens. Foods saturated with nitrates are an excellent breeding ground for these bacteria. Therefore, dishes that include mustard leaves are advised to consume on the same day.
- The plant suffices minimal care: regular watering and periodic loosening of the soil at the roots. If you neglect these recommendations, the leaves will be unpalatable. The greens grow quite quickly, so already 2-3 weeks after the seeds sprout, it is time to harvest.
- The most commonly used varieties for cooking are salad and volvushka.
- In Russia, wild mustard can be found in ungroomed garden plots.
- The leaves of the plant themselves are involved in the creation of mustard oil, which is often used by chefs.
- Mustard leaves are justifiably in demand in many countries. Despite some contraindications, the useful properties of the plant are much more. So just one product can saturate the body with a lot of vitamins and minerals, which will have the best effect on human health.
Leaf mustard is a valuable plant. After all, it can be eaten and used to prevent many diseases.
Growing mustard leaves, you can benefit not only from the greens, but also from the seeds of the plant, because they are widely used in medicine and cosmetology. Even beauty salons have masks that include mustard leaf seeds, such as those designed to combat dandruff or hair loss.
Do not forget that the plant can both benefit and harm if used and used in excessive amounts.
«Important: All information on this site is provided solely for introductory purposes only. Before applying any recommendations, you should consult with a specialist. health care professionals before you use any of the recommendations. Neither the editors nor the authors shall be liable for any possible harm caused by materials."