Black walnut: useful properties and contraindications
Black walnut or black walnut is a plant that has spread around the world from the northern part of America. The appearance and sphere of use of its fruits does not differ from the walnuts familiar to many people.
- Where does the black walnut grow and how does it look like?
- What is the difference between a black walnut and a walnut
- Composition and calories
- Useful properties of black walnuts
- General benefits
- For Women
- For Men
- In pregnancy
- When breastfeeding
- For kids
- When losing weight
- What is the usefulness of black walnut leaves
- Black walnut tincture: uses and contraindications
- How to cook the tincture
- The benefits of black walnut extract
- Black walnut oil: properties and application
- How to take black walnut in capsules
- Black walnut in medicine
- Diabetes mellitus of any type
- Malignant tumors
- Fungal diseases
- Thyroid gland dysfunction
- Decreased immunity
- Using black walnut in cooking
- Harm and contraindications
- Interesting facts about black walnut
Black walnuts are added to desserts, side dishes, cocktails and even sauces, which is possible due to their excellent taste characteristics. At the same time, the product will please not only with its taste. With its regular use you can notice its unique effect on the human body, which is explained by the content of this product of a large number of nutrients, including vitamins, macro- and microelements.
Where does black walnut grow and what does it look like?
The homeland of the black walnut is considered the territory of modern North America. In Massachusetts, Florida, Texas and other states it can be found growing wild. That said, this plant does not need special conditions for successful fruiting and active growth. The tree can grow:
- In forests;
- Near small bodies of water;
- In fertile mountain soil;
- in park areas;
- in alleys.
Since the middle of the 18th century, black walnut has been successfully cultivated in the Russian Federation as well. It can be found in regions with a warm climate, including Stavropol, Krasnodar Territory.
For Europeans black walnut is also not something unfamiliar and surprising. It can be found throughout Europe, with the exception of Scandinavia, whose climatic conditions are not suitable for its cultivation.
The appearance of the plant resembles that of a walnut tree. Agronomists distinguish only a few features characteristic of the black walnut:
- Bark color. The bark of the plant is colored in a chocolate brown shade.
- Tree height. Black walnut can reach 50 meters in height.
- Shape and diameter of the crown. The crown has a vaulted shape, and its diameter can reach a size equal to the height of the tree.
- Root system. The roots of such a nut are colored black and are of the rod type.
The first leaves on the tree appear in the period from mid to late spring, and flowering does not come until the seventh year of the plant's life. After that, fruits are formed on the tree, presented in the form of rounded nuts, with a slightly elongated front part, the diameter of which is no more than 5 cm. The nuts are covered with a four-necked shell and during their ripening period are in a peel, which can be from 5 to 10 mm thick. The edible part of the fruit is inside the shell and is presented in the form of a kernel, which has a specific aroma and a unique taste.
What is the difference between a black walnut and a walnut?
Both the walnut and the black walnut belong to the Walnut family, which explains why there are not many distinctive characteristics. The crown, trunk, leaves and even the fruit of these two plants are very similar, which makes them easy to confuse. However, a few differences can still be highlighted:
- Composition. The walnut and black walnut fruits contain aromatic substances, polyphenols and juglons. However, if you pay attention to their quantity, you can notice that in the black walnut these substances are much more.
- Aroma. The smell that comes from the black walnut fruit is more intense than that of the walnut fruit. This is easily explained by the fact that black walnut contains more volatile aromatic substances.
- Effectiveness of treatment. Tinctures prepared on the basis of black walnut are more effective than those containing walnut fruits.
Based on the above facts, we can say that the benefits from the use of black walnut is much higher than that of the walnut. In this case, the substances that are in its composition, can have a unique effect on the human body, accelerating recovery and preventing the development of cancer and many other diseases.
Composition and calories
The unique effect of the black walnut on the human body is explained by the content of this product of a large number of nutrients. In 100 grams of husked fruit contains:
- 24.1 g vegetable proteins (32.1% of the daily allowance).
- 59.3 g of fat (70.6% of the daily allowance).
- 9.6 g of carbohydrates (3.1% of the daily allowance).
- This product also includes:
- Sugar - 1.1 g per 100 g.
- Fiber - 6.8 g per 100 grams.
- Starch - 0.2 g per 100 g.
The composition of black walnut includes a large number of fat-soluble and water-soluble vitamins. Per 100 g there are:
- 2.0 µg of vitamin A.
- 31.0 µg of vitamin B9.
- 24.0 µg beta-carotene.
- 0.6 mg of vitamin B6.
- 2.1 mg of vitamin E.
- 1.7 mg of vitamin B5.
- 2.7 µg of vitamin K.
- 32.1 mg of vitamin B4.
- 1.7 mg of vitamin C.
- 0.5 mg of vitamin B3.
- 0.1 mg of vitamin B1.
- 0.1 mg of vitamin B2.
The chemical composition of black walnut fruits is saturated with a large number of macro- and micronutrients. In 100 g of the product contains:
- 61.0 mg of calcium.
- 17.0 mg of selenium.
- 3.1 mg of iron.
- 3.9 mg of manganese.
- 201.0 mg of magnesium.
- 1.4 mg copper.
- 513.0 mg phosphorus.
- 3.4 mg zinc.
- 523 mg potassium.
- 2.0 mg sodium.
Black walnut is considered a highly concentrated product. Its 100 g contains 619 calories. It is for this reason to consume this product for therapeutic purposes should be in strictly limited quantities and only after consultation with the attending physician.
Useful properties of black walnuts
With the correct and systematic use of black walnuts, the substances that comprise it can have a unique effect on the human body:
- Prevent the development of diseases of the gastrointestinal tract organs, which were caused by pathogenic bacteria, and accelerate the process of recovery in case of their presence.
- Normalize the disturbed microflora of the gastrointestinal organs.
- Stop the premature aging of the skin and the whole body.
- Accelerate cell regeneration.
- Improve the protective function of the body, preventing the development of colds and other diseases.
- Relieve inflammation occurring in internal organs.
- Remove excess fluid from the body, helping to get rid of edema.
- Prevent the development of viral diseases, including herpes.
- To speed up the healing process during various diseases caused by pathogenic and conditionally pathogenic fungi.
- Prevent the development of cancerous pathologies, as well as stop the division of cancer cells and stop the spread of tumors in the case of its presence.
- Eliminate waste products and toxins.
- Relieve pain of an antispasmodic nature.
- Get rid of worms.
- Relieve attacks of nausea and vomiting.
- Prevent the development of disorders of the central nervous system.
- Eliminate avitaminosis.
The substances that make up the black walnut have a unique effect on the female body. According to doctors, with the regular use of this product women can not only improve the overall condition of the body, but also to prevent the development of such diseases:
- Cancer of the mammary glands and organs of the reproductive system. The composition of the black walnut includes substances that are called phytohormones. It is they that can destroy cancer cells, preventing the appearance of malignant tumors.
- Depression. Black walnut can successfully cope with disorders of the central nervous system, including depression. With regular use of this product, women note an improvement in condition and complete relief from depression within a short period of time.
- Inflammatory processes occurring in the organs of the reproductive system. The substances contained in the nut can not only prevent the development of inflammation in the organs of the female reproductive system, but also speed up the recovery process, as well as relieve unpleasant symptoms that accompany a particular disease.
- Thyroid disorders. Women suffering from thyroid disorders are recommended to introduce black walnuts into the daily diet. This will help normalize the hormonal background and prevent the development of related diseases.
Black walnut contains in its composition substances that are necessary not only to maintain health, but also to improve the appearance of hair, nails and skin. With the regular use of this product and the use of compositions, the basis of which it is, is noted:
- improvement of the condition of hair, their strengthening, prevention of breakage and loss;
- Strengthening of the nail plate;
- Rejuvenation of the skin and restoration of regenerative functions of cells.
Qualified therapists advise including black walnuts in the daily diet of not only women, but also men. This product will help:
- Increase potency;
- increase physical activity;
- reduce the effect of stressful situations on the work of the central nervous system;
- normalize the work of the gastric secretion;
- prevent the development of diseases of the cardiovascular system;
- Improve the immune system.
During the period of carrying a child, black walnut will have a beneficial effect on the body of both the woman and the baby, which is in her womb.
- Folic acid, which is contained in this product, can have an invaluable effect on the fetus, preventing the development of congenital diseases and ensuring proper formation and development.
- The product can increase hemoglobin levels in the blood, preventing the development of severe anemia. Vitamins and iron in black walnuts will help.
- Vitamin C and other substances that are rich in black walnuts will increase immunity. This will prevent the occurrence of colds and other diseases, which is especially undesirable during pregnancy.
In addition, by consuming black walnuts, a pregnant woman will be able to get rid of:
- From attacks of nausea and vomiting, which were caused by toxemia;
- depressive states.
Despite the many useful properties, it is recommended to use black walnuts during the period of childbirth in strictly limited quantities. With excessive consumption of this product can develop serious diseases, which is extremely undesirable during pregnancy.
But in the postpartum period, under the condition of feeding the newborn baby with mother's milk, doctors recommend young mothers to completely abandon the use of this product. If this recommendation is ignored, there is a high probability of developing allergic reactions in the child, severe colic, constipation and other undesirable consequences, which can have a negative impact on the baby's body and cause the development of dangerous diseases.
Include black walnuts in the diet of a nursing mother can only be after consultation with your pediatrician. If the child has no allergies and contraindications, it can have a beneficial effect on the formation of acquired immunity, as well as saturate the body with a number of essential vitamins and other beneficial substances.
With caution, it is recommended to introduce this product and in the diet of small children. According to experienced pediatricians, it can be done only after the child has reached the age of two. If consumed correctly, black walnuts will have a positive effect on the work of the child's body:
- Will improve a child's brain and physical activity;
- increase the body's resistance to viruses that attack it;
- will prevent the development of avitaminosis;
- Prevent thinning of tooth enamel;
- Normalizes microflora.
When losing weight
Despite the high caloric value of black walnuts, it is not recommended to completely exclude them from the daily diet during a diet whose goal is to lose weight. According to nutritionists, a few eaten nuts will help:
- normalize metabolic processes;
- suppress feelings of hunger;
- prevent the deterioration of the appearance of hair, nails and skin;
- saturate the body with vitamins necessary for its normal functioning.
However, you should also take into account the fact that with excessive consumption of this product weight loss will simply be impossible. For this reason, the amount of consumed nuts should be strictly limited.
What are the benefits of black walnut leaves
Not only the fruits, but also the leaves of the black walnut have useful properties. Although the concentration of useful substances in the leaves is an order of magnitude lower than in the nuts, they are often used for medicinal purposes in the form of infusions and decoctions. Compositions, the basis of which are the leaves of black walnut, are used:
- To improve the protective function of the body.
- To treat fungal diseases.
- Combat with helminths.
- Removing inflammatory phenomena occurring in the internal organs.
- Normalization of intestinal flora.
- Treatment of diseases of the upper respiratory tract, including bronchitis, maxillary sinusitis and at different stages of development.
- Relieving symptoms and speeding up the recovery process during acute respiratory diseases.
- Influenza treatment.
Tinctures and decoctions of black walnut leaves in combination with medications can cope with many skin diseases, including acne and eczema.
Doctors note that to achieve the desired effect, the compositions prepared from black walnut leaves should be used correctly, taking into account the recommended dosages, frequency of use and contraindications.
Black walnut tincture: uses and contraindications
Tincture of black walnut is a very strong remedy. The concentration of active substances in this drug is so high that you should start taking it with 2-3 drops per day.
Tincture of black walnut is shown to patients suffering from:
- of endocrine disorders;
- low immunity;
- acute respiratory diseases;
- Diabetes mellitus of any type;
- severe anemia;
- inflammatory processes in the oral mucosa and gums;
- Diseases of the ENT organs that occur in a chronic form;
- cancerous diseases;
- worm infestations.
In this case, the frequency of administration of the drug, the duration of treatment and dosage must be calculated in each case. So, for example, in the treatment of oncological diseases the black walnut tincture is used 4 times a day. In this case, on the first day of treatment, a single dose should be 2.5 ml. In the second and subsequent days, the tincture is taken in 10 ml, previously diluting it with a small amount of purified water.
The average duration of cancer treatment is not less than 1 year. In this case the tincture is used for 3 weeks, then take a break for 1 week and continue taking the drug.
Doctors also draw the attention of patients to the fact that the appropriateness of the use of this drug can be determined only by the attending physician, assessing the general condition of the patient, the peculiarities of the course of the disease and the presence of contraindications.
The use of black walnut tincture is contraindicated in the presence of an allergic reaction to one or more of the components that comprise the drug, as well as during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
Do not consume the drug medics recommend that those patients who suffer from:
- From mental illnesses in the period of their exacerbation;
- Erosive gastritis;
It is worth paying attention to the fact that the use of black walnut tincture with serious liver diseases and ulcers should be used with extreme caution. High doses can have a negative effect, aggravating the patient's condition, increasing the symptoms and provoking the development of the disease.
How to prepare the tincture
Tincture of black walnut can be found in many pharmacies. However, if you have the fruits of black walnut, you can prepare this preparation at home.
To prepare the tincture you will need:
- Unripe nuts, covered with the skin.
- Alcohol 50%.
- A glass container.
The preparation consists of the following steps:
- Rinse the nuts under clean running water, without removing the skin from them.
- Place them in a glass container prepared in advance.
- Fill them with so much alcohol that it covers all the nuts.
- Close the container with a lid.
- Leave the tincture in a dark, cool place for 14 days.
After the specified period of time the tincture will be ready for use. Store it in the refrigerator or in any other cool place, without access to direct sunlight.
The benefits of black walnut extract
Not only the leaves and fruits of the black walnut have medicinal properties, but also its rind. It is from it that the extract is made, which is used to treat many skin diseases, including:
- pus wounds.
In addition, black walnut extract is indicated for use in patients suffering from:
- of gynecological problems;
- venereal diseases;
- disorders of the endocrine system;
Experts of folk medicine claim that black walnut extract has healing properties, which allows using it to accelerate the healing process of fissures of the anus. In addition, due to its unique composition, the extract is used to cleanse the entire body.
Black walnut oil: properties and application
Black walnut oil is made from the fruits of this plant through their extraction. This product is widely used both for cooking dishes and for creating cosmetics and medications.
Medics advise the use of black walnut oil for diseases such as:
- rickets (at any stage of its development);
- Reproductive system disorders;
- worm infestations;
- Diabetes mellitus of any type.
This product is also recommended for various skin diseases, colitis and some varieties of gastritis.
When used correctly, black walnut oil will help to improve the overall condition of the person and can cope with the unpleasant symptoms of the disease, relieving inflammation, saturating the body with more nutrients and accelerating the healing process.
How to take black walnut capsules
Today, in every second pharmacy you can find black walnut in capsules. This drug refers to biologically active supplements and is used to treat:
- fungal diseases, including candidiasis;
- gastrointestinal disorders;
- eczema, psoriasis and other skin diseases;
- worm infestations.
The drug may be recommended as an adjunctive remedy for patients with low immunity and high blood sugar levels. In this case, the daily rate of consumption of the drug is usually not more than 2 capsules, and the recommended course of treatment is 21 days.
Black walnut in medicine
Black walnut is widely used in folk medicine, which has become possible due to its unique composition and ability:
- expel parasites;
- Reduce the level of sugar in the blood;
- normalize metabolic processes in the body;
- increase immunity;
- fight parasites;
- improve the gastrointestinal tract;
- fight pathogenic fungi.
At the same time the spectrum of use of black walnut in alternative medicine is very wide. It is used to treat many diseases.
Diabetes mellitus of any type
To normalize the level of sugar in the blood will help the composition, prepared from the following components:
- 10 ml of black walnut tincture.
- 10 ml of watermelon infusion.
- 10 ml of pumpkin seed oil.
Mix the ingredients in the indicated quantities and take the resulting mixture twice a day 30 minutes before meals. This recipe will help to cope not only with diabetes, but also with colds, flu and various kinds of mycoses.
If helminths are detected, take the mixture prepared according to the first recipe, in combination with 2.5 g of wormwood powder and crushed cloves in the same amount. The course of treatment should be at least 14 days, after which you should take a one-week break.
When malignant neoplasms are detected, the patient is shown to take a mixture of the following components:
- 40 ml of black walnut tincture.
- 20 ml of watermelon oil.
- 20 ml of pumpkin seed oil.
- 5 g of crushed cloves.
The composition is used orally no more than 4 times a day for 21 days, with a break of a week. It should be supplemented by taking 5 g of wormwood powder once a day. The full course of treatment is from 6 to 12 months, depending on the severity of the pathology.
In the case of the development of various fungal diseases, it is recommended to use a mixture of such components:
- 10 ml of black walnut tincture.
- 10 ml of watermelon oil.
- 10 ml of pumpkin seed oil.
- 2.5 g of wormwood powder.
- 5 g of crushed cloves.
The mixture is consumed 1 to 3 times a week, 30-40 minutes before meals. It is an excellent remedy not only against pathogenic fungi, but also for the prevention of influenza, acute respiratory diseases and gastrointestinal disorders.
Improve the work of the thyroid gland will be able to a mixture of such components:
- Black walnut tincture.
- Purified water.
The treatment is carried out according to the standard scheme:
Day 1 of therapy. Mix 5 drops of the tincture with 100 ml of water and drink in the morning, on an empty stomach.
The 2nd day of therapy. Increase twice the amount of the tincture, mix it with the same amount of water and drink the resulting mixture on an empty stomach.
The 3rd and the next days of therapy. Increase the amount of the tincture by 5 drops daily until you reach the volume of 5 ml. After that, take the drug twice a day, drinking it for 15-20 minutes.
The course of thyroid treatment is at least 6 months and may continue until full recovery. However, it is mandatory to take a one-week break, which should be done regularly, after 21 days of taking the drug.
To increase the level of hemoglobin in the blood, you can use a decoction prepared from the following components:
- 20 g of peeled black walnuts.
- 250 ml of preheated water.
Pour the water into a container suitable for cooking, add to it the specified number of nuts and boil for 30 minutes. Use the decoction slightly cooled as a tea, no more than 3 times a day. The recommended course of therapy - 3-4 weeks. Then you should take a break for 1-2 months.
Increase the body's resistance to attacking its pathogens will help infusion, prepared from the following components:
- 60 g of unripe, chopped nuts.
- 30 ml of honey.
Mix these two ingredients in a glass jar, close with a tight lid and leave to insist for 45 days. During this period, the tincture should not be exposed to direct sunlight and elevated temperatures. After a specified period of time put the tincture in the refrigerator and take 5 ml of it half an hour before the meal. Take the composition should not be more than once a day.
The use of black walnut in cooking
Black walnut has excellent taste characteristics and bright flavor, which allows you to widely use it for the preparation of a variety of dishes. It can be used as an independent product or as an ingredient in the preparation of various dishes:
- Roasted black walnut kernels can add their unique flavor to a variety of salads.
- In baking black walnuts are added in crushed form.
- Black walnuts crushed into a powder can transform the taste of any porridge.
Due to its taste, black walnuts can transform the usual dishes and please the household with new culinary masterpieces.
Harm and contraindications
Despite the many useful properties, black walnuts can harm human health, especially if you exceed the allowable norms of its consumption. According to specialists, eating a small handful of black walnut kernels, a person gets the nutrients that are necessary for the normal functioning of his body. If this amount is exceeded, the effect will be the opposite.
In addition, physicians strongly recommend excluding this product from the daily diet to those patients who suffer from:
- from ulcerative diseases;
- some forms of gastritis;
- disorders of liver function;
It is not recommended to use black walnuts and those patients who have noticed an individual intolerance to this product. Otherwise there is a risk of a severe allergic reaction in the form of Quincke's edema, difficulty in breathing and other unpleasant symptoms, which may be fatal.
You should also limit the consumption of black walnuts during pregnancy, as well as during breastfeeding. In the first case, a small amount of this product will only benefit the future mother and her baby, but in the second case, it may cause serious diseases in the newborn baby.
If you take into account the recommended doses and do not ignore the contraindications, the use of black walnut kernels will bring only gastronomic pleasure and will not be accompanied by any undesirable consequences.
Interesting facts about black walnut
About the useful properties of the fruits of the black walnut in recent times talk a lot, which explains its popularity and frequency of use. However, the fact that this plant is really unique can only be heard from a few people. Not everyone knows that black walnut:
- Has been used to treat many diseases since ancient times. The Indians who lived on the territory of North America, which is the natural habitat of the plant, called black walnut "elixir of life" and used it both for treatment and prevention of diseases common in those times.
- It has a powerful root system, active growth of which occurs in the first year of the plant's life. It is interesting that during this period, the above-ground part of the tree grows much slower.
- Contains a huge amount of ascorbic acid. At the same time, the amount of this substance in the black walnut is much more than in any citrus known to mankind.
- It contains proteins and fats, the amount of which is much higher than in walnuts, which everyone is familiar with.
- It can grow to a huge size. A mature tree can reach the height of a 16-story building.
- It is one of the most powerful natural remedies for cancer treatment. Medics have recorded cases of complete cure of cancer in patients who received systematic treatment with compositions prepared on the basis of this unique product.
- It is able to cope with the manifestations of diabetes. At the same time, the consumption of this product will help to improve the condition of the patient's whole body, not only to level out the blood sugar level.
Black walnut is a rich source of vitamins and minerals and can improve the overall condition of the person, normalizing the functioning of all internal organs and systems. But it is possible only if you do not ignore the contraindications and recommendations of doctors on the use of this product.
«Important: All information on this site is provided solely for introductory purposes. Consult a specialist before applying any recommendations. specialist before using any recommendations. Neither the editors nor the authors shall be liable for any possible harm caused by materials."